Workplace Safety Gloves Paramount to Prevent Injuries

Jan 15, 2020

Brooks Schuelke, Esq.
Schuelke Law PLLC

Austin, TX (Law Firm Newswire) January 15, 2019 – Many jobs require industrial safety gloves to keep workers’ hands safe from injury. However, not enough workers have the gloves or wear them. This trend increases the chances of workplace injuries.

Worker hand injuries account for close to one million medical emergencies in the United States every year. Workers who do not wear safety gloves sustain 70 percent of those injuries. The other 30 percent of those injuries happen because workers were using damaged gloves or not the correct gloves for the task. Personal protective equipment (PPE), such as gloves or safety goggles, is needed across workplaces in the nations. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) suggest roughly 70.9 percent of arm and hand injuries can be prevented by using industrial safety gloves.

“When you think about it,” said Austin workplace injury lawyer, Brooks Schuelke, “hands are the most frequently used tool at a workplace. If hands are not protected, the results can often be disabling for the workers.” Industrial safety gloves help to protect hands against sharp objects, contact dermatitis, chemical burns, and heat and cold.

Workers and employers are realizing that proper PPE for workers is crucial for a variety of reasons, like workplace safety and reducing the number of workers’ compensation claims.

The Texas Department of Workers Compensation (DWC) and the U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics note that cuts, strains and sprains comprised the bulk of 2018 workplace hand injuries. Approximately 30 percent of those injuries were deemed serious. Hand injuries are typically considered to be the most preventable and can result in the highest number of workdays lost. Guidelines mandate the use of PPE in high-risk industries.

Growing awareness of workplace safety resulted in a revision of PPE regulations in 2016. Currently, work safety gloves are designed and made with regulatory compliance and maximum safety in mind. “If you were injured in a workplace accident, contact the Austin, Texas based Schuelke Law for help,” said Schuelke.

Schuelke Law PLLC
3011 N. Lamar Blvd
Ste. 200
Austin, TX 78705
Call (512) 476-4944

View Larger Map