Dietary Supplement Company Settles Pregnancy Discrimination Lawsuit
Aug 31, 2018
Los Angeles, CA (Law Firm Newswire) August 31, 2018 – San Diego-based company Tarr Inc. and Zenith LLC will pay $50,000 to victims in a pregnancy discrimination suit and provide other relief as part of a settlement with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
According to the lawsuit, the company fired a female employee a few days after she informed them of her pregnancy. The company also did not allow another pregnant employee to return to work after she took maternity leave, the EEOC claimed.
The alleged actions violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended by the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, which outlaws discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions. The federal agency filed its suit in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California after failing to reach a pre-litigation settlement via conciliation.
“Too often employers wrongly perceive pregnancy and motherhood as incompatible with work, which places women at a great disadvantage,” said Anna Park, EEOC’s regional attorney for the Los Angeles District, which includes San Diego County.
Betsy Havens, executive director of Los Angeles employment law firm Strong Advocates, also represents women who have experienced pregnancy discrimination.
“Pregnancy is a thrilling and often nerve-wracking time for women. Being fired from a job while pregnant — and because of pregnancy–is like a nightmare come true for our clients. But pregnancy discrimination is absolutely illegal,” Havens said. “When a company breaks these laws, our clients deserve significant compensation.”
The California Fair Employment and Housing Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are two other laws that offer protection against pregnancy discrimination.
For those who are pregnant or were recently pregnant and experienced discrimination on the job, contact the compassionate pregnancy discrimination lawyers at Strong Advocates.
Learn more at https://www.strongadvocates.com.
6080 Center Drive, Suite 600
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Phone: (310) 504-1490
Strong Advocates Blog
- Prison psychologist speaks out about retaliation after reporting discrimination of LGBTQ inmates
- Glendale construction firm faces $6.3 million lawsuit for misclassification and wage theft
- Transgender employee sues Amazon for workplace harassment and discrimination
- Napa winery salesman files lawsuit for age discrimination
- California Assembly to vote on bill that would give more workers 12 weeks of parental leave
- California to begin anti-discrimination testing of Airbnb hosts
- UCLA’s decreased disability insurance disadvantages new parents
- Paid leave policies at Starbucks negatively affect LGBTQ families
- Wrongful termination and pregnancy discrimination lawsuit brought by former university employee
- University of California IT workers file age, national origin discrimination lawsuit