J. Kevin Holmes, Esq. Accepted into the American Board of Trial Advocate
Oct 26, 2017
Charleston, SC (Law Firm Newswire) October 26, 2017 – J. Kevin Holmes, Esq, of the Steinberg Law Firm, has been elected to membership in the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA).
Nominated by fellow judges and lawyers of the Charleston Chapter of ABOTA, he was elected by the ABOTA National Board of Directors on August 12, 2017. His election is a tribute to his personal character, reputation and skill as a trial lawyer.
Attorney Holmes graduated from Rutgers University School of Law in 1975 and began his practice in Columbia, South Carolina working for then Senator Isadore E. Lourie, the Speaker Pro Tem of the South Carolina Senate, who championed the rights of working men and women. During this time, Attorney Holmes won the landmark case of Marquard v. Columbia Pacific Mills, which was the first time a cotton mill worker received an award of death benefits for the disease referred to as brown lung. The case was instrumental in breaking the hold the politically appointed Medical Panel had in denying benefits to mill workers and helped all workers receive income benefits for occupational disease.
Attorney Holmes moved to Charleston and joined the Steinberg Law Firm in 1979 and became a partner in 1985. He has extensive experience trying criminal and civil cases in South Carolina’s state and federal courts for over 42 years. Attorney Holmes jokes, ?”My undergraduate degree was in business administration and I went to law school thinking I would go to work for my father’s company. Then I married a South Carolina girl and moved to Columbia so she could attend law school herself. Next thing I knew I was traveling around the State trying murder cases with a lawyer named Jack B. Swerling, famous for defending Pee Wee Gaskins and other cases.”
“Trying cases, criminal and civil, just got in my blood and here I am 40 years later having tried hundreds of civil and criminal cases. What makes being elected to membership in ABOTA such an honor is being nominated by the judges and lawyers you have practiced with from both the plaintiff and the defense side of the bar over the years.
Attorney Holmes looks forward to working on the projects sponsored by ABOTA to preserve civility in the courtroom and the preservation of the civil justice system.
Steinberg Law Firm
61 Broad St
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: (843) 720-2800
118 S Goose Creek Blvd
Goose Creek, SC 29445
Phone: (843) 572-0700
103 Grandview Drive Suite A
Summerville, SC 29483
Phone: (843) 871-6522
Steinberg Law Firm Blog
- Why are car accidents so common in South Carolina?
- Bicycle Accidents in South Carolina
- Steinberg Law Firm’s Ben Akery Chips In for Healing Farms
- Are older workers at greater risk for injury in the workplace?
- J. Kevin Holmes, Esq. Accepted into the American Board of Trial Advocates
- Join Steinberg Law Firm at The Fifteenth Annual Scrumptious Summerville Kitchen Tour & Pinwheel Gala
- Steinberg Law Firm supports Goose Creek High School Football Team
- How To Prepare For A Hurricane: Safety Plans and Emergency Kits
- Steinberg Law Firm Partners with St. Stephen Mayor and Community Activist to Resurrect Basketball Court
- Attorney Thomas M. White Launches Bike Safety Campaign