Rapper ‘Diddy’ Combs Sued for Sexual Harassment, Wage Abuse
Jun 29, 2017
Los Angeles, CA (Law Firm Newswire) June 29, 2017 – Rapper Sean “Diddy” Combs was recently sued by his former personal chef for sexual harassment, retaliation, defamation, failure to pay overtime and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
According to the complaint filed in L.A. County Superior Court, Cindy Rueda alleges she worked unreasonable hours, was underpaid, and endured emotional distress as a result of pervasive sexual harassment and a hostile work environment.
Rueda worked as a personal chef for Combs at his home in Los Angeles from January 2015 to May 2017. For the first nine months of her employment, Rueda worked weekends, but became a full-time employee in September 2015. Court documents state that she worked daily from 9 am to midnight or 2 am, and was never paid overtime. Rueda was paid a flat rate of $150 per day, and was misclassified as exempt from overtime pay.
During the course of her employment, Rueda alleges she endured severe and pervasive sexual harassment from her employer and his house guests. The complaint states that Rueda was frequently asked to serve the rapper and his guests food during and immediately after they engaged in sexual activity.
The complaint details an incident in which Rueda was asked to serve Combs and his guests food while he was naked, and he asked Rueda if she was attracted to him or liked his naked body. On more than one occasion while Rueda was working in the kitchen, a male guest approached her after having engaged in sexual activity and asked her to admire his genitals.
On multiple occasions, Rueda complained to Combs’ estate director about these and other instances in which she was approached by Combs and his guests to engage in conversations or exposed to situations of a sexual nature.
Because of her complaints, Rueda alleges that she was coerced into a situation where she could be accused of theft and fired. She alleges that Combs retaliated against her for prior complaints about wage abuse, unreasonable working hours and sexual harassment. Rueda seeks damages for past and future economic loss, past and future noneconomic loss, including humiliation, and pain and suffering.
Learn more at https://www.strongadvocates.com.
6601 Center Drive West, Suite 500
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Phone: (310) 242-8936
Strong Advocates Blog
- California Senate bill mandating 12 weeks of unpaid parental leave for small companies passes committee
- Google accused of underpaying female employees
- Strong Advocates answers anonymous questions about sexual harassment in the workplace
- San Francisco loses wrongful termination case
- Records show high rate of sexual misconduct by faculty at UC campuses
- Unwanted hugging may be sexual harassment
- Proposed class-action lawsuit dismissed when judge rules restaurant chain layoffs not in violation of WARN Act
- Can your boss fire you for filing a workers’ compensation claim?
- Proposed bill would change the way employers hire part-time and temporary workers
- Taxi company settles citation for employee misclassification and failing to provide workers’ compensation