U.S. Capital

Florida Veterans Attorney Notes VA Owes State Hospitals 134 Million Dollars

Mar 14, 2016

Tampa, FL (Law Firm Newswire) March 14, 2015 – A Florida Hospital Association survey has found that 95 percent of its member hospitals are waiting for around $134 million in outstanding payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The 30,000 outstanding claims are for medical services the state’s hospitals provided to veterans who faced long wait times at VA health care facilities or lived too far away from them. According to the association, around 6,000 of the unpaid claims have been delayed for over two years. In October 2015, VA Secretary Robert McDonald received a letter from 12 Florida Congress members demanding an explanation about the unpaid bills.

“If outside doctors are not paid by the VA, veterans ultimately risk losing access to other options for health care,” said David Magann, a Florida veterans attorney. “The delayed payments could hamper the VA’s efforts to overhaul its health care system which has been plagued by various scandals, such as long wait times for patients at VA hospitals.”

Mary Kay Hollingsworth, the VA statewide health care network’s communications manager, claimed the VA has done an adequate job of paying Florida hospitals on time. State hospitals have received nearly $500 million in claims payments from the VA so far. However, she noted there will always be a balance of unpaid claims.

While around 80 percent of claims are processed within 30 days for authorized treatment, the other 20 percent of claims from non-VA doctors and hospitals can be delayed. Hollingsworth attributed the delays to reasons such as lack of documentation or denial due to ineligibility.

The Veterans Choice program allows veterans to see private doctors outside the VA and is designed to help decrease appointment wait times. The program is run by Health Net, which is known to require excessive documentation. Health Net released a statement agreeing with the VA’s calls for a simpler payment process in order to reduce errors and delays. The provider said, “Waiting six months for a claim to be processed is not what Health Net wants for doctors and we apologize to any who may have experienced this kind of wait.”

Learn more at http://www.tampaveteranslawyer.com/

David W. Magann, P.A.
Main Office:
156 W. Robertson St.
Brandon, FL 33511
Call: (813) 657-9175

Tampa Office:
4012 Gunn Highway #165
Tampa, Florida 33618

View Larger Map

  • PTSD, "Post" Means After And At Any Time
    Government analysis finds Veterans with PTSD can suffer for decades before acknowledging the disorder. The year 2014 marks the 100th-year anniversary of the beginning of World War I, the so-called war to end all wars. And in a bit of irony, a study was released on August 8 that has found that, like the consequences of the “Great War,” the after-effects of combat stress among veterans, just like the after-effects of old wars upon conflicts years later, seems to linger for decades. The study, which was commissioned by the Department of Veterans Affairs, tracked veterans from as far back as the Vietnam […]
  • Attorney Fees in VA Compensation are Contingent Upon You Winning
    Attorney fees in VA Compensation claims are contingent upon winning benefits. The VA’s General Counsel office and regional offices must approve of all fee agreements, which allows 20% of the veteran’s BACK benefits, not future benefits, to be withheld to pay the representative. The attorney does not collect the fee directly from the veteran, but reasonable costs may be collected directly from the veteran claimant. By law, an individual must be accredited by VA as an agent, attorney, or representative of a VA-recognized veterans service organization to assist in the preparation, presentation, and prosecution of a claim for VA benefits.  […]
  • Camp Lejeune Tainted Water Claim? New Rules You Can Use: Justice Delayed
    For decades there has been medical complications statistically abnormal for those who were based in Camp Lejeune. Recently there has been considerable media and Congressional attention to the past contamination of the water supply at Camp Lejeune. From 1953 to 1987, the water supply was contaminated with TCE, PCE, benzene, vinyl chloride and “other compounds.” see https://clnr.hqi.usmc.mil/clwater/Site/background_information.html. Because of legislation passed in 2012, the VA now recognizes the medical problems caused by the Camp LeJeune water contamination. There are two areas that a Veteran may be awarded benefits listed below: (1) VA health care benefits may be available. These are […]