Miami, FL (Law Firm Newswire) December 2, 2015 – As Americans prepare to celebrate the holidays with friends and family, it is important for drivers to use extra caution and be aware that traffic accidents increase during the holidays.
“The holidays bring joy and they also bring a risk of car accidents,” said Jason Chalik, a Florida car accident attorney with Chalik & Chalik Law Offices. “We want to remind drivers to be cautious out on the roads.”
The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest travel days of the year, and increased traffic means more accidents. Thanksgiving Day itself is also a busy traffic day, with an increase in drunk driving accidents. Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, brings 60 to 70 million shoppers out to stores. Progressive Insurance reported that from 2010 to 2011, the number of auto insurance claims doubled on Black Friday, and there was a 36 percent increase in parking lot claims.
According to statistics from the Highway Loss Data Institute, collision claims increase by about 20 percent in the month of December. The six days around Christmas are particularly deadly, according to an analysis by University of Alabama professor David Brown.
A huge number of accidents take place in the first few hours of every year, as intoxicated New Year’s Eve revelers attempt to make their way home. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that Jan. 1 was the day of the year with the highest number of alcohol-related fatalities. Drinking and driving was a factor in about 42 percent of all New Year’s traffic fatalities from 2007-2011, according to the National Safety Council.
“We hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season,” said Chalik.
Learn more at http://www.chaliklaw.com/.
Chalik & Chalik Law Offices
28 W Flagler St, #1000
Miami, FL 33130
Phone: (305) 944-2035
Chalik & Chalik Law Offices Blog
- Study finds prevalence of flat head syndrome among babies with brachial plexus injuries
- Researchers question underlying cause of cerebral palsy
- Vehicle-to-vehicle technology expected to reduce car accidents
- Researchers link fracking to high-risk pregnancies and premature births
- Rapper Rick Ross sued for slip-and-fall accident in Miami Gardens home
- Palm Beach County schools lack funds for repairs to prevent slip-and-fall accidents
- Treatment options for brachial plexus birth injuries