U.S. Capital

Correcting an Errant Sentence Versus Changing a Sentence: The Difference Could be Double Jeopardy

Aug 21, 2015

Lakeland, FL (Law Firm Newswire) August 21, 2015 – Is a judge allowed to change a sentence after one has been imposed, while the offender is in jail serving time?

“The short answer in that scenario is, more often than not, no, because this situation is called double jeopardy. It would be wrong on a number of levels,” said Thomas Grajek, a Lakeland, Florida, criminal defense attorney. “No officer of the court, such as a judge, can on their own, without holding a hearing including all relevant parties, re-sentence someone after they have already been sentenced.”

It is one thing to correct an errant sentence and quite another to change a sentence, which crosses over into perilous legal territory. There are, however, instances where sentences may be increased even if an individual has been tried, convicted and is serving time.

One clear example of such a situation is the case of Rolling v. Grammer, 665 F. Supp. 780 (D. Neb. 1987). That particular case was a litany of appeals dealing with Mr. Rolling’s increased sentences after being sentenced for the first time and landing in jail.

During the course of his various appeals, Mr. Rolling faced, after his initial sentence of nine to 12-years, a sentence change that handed him 65-years behind bars. During several other appeals to deal with the 65-year sentence, he eventually received a flat 20-year sentence. He attempted to appeal that once again, without any success.

The sentence was changed in the first place because the court found an error of law (referred to as a plain error) in the first court not sentencing Mr. Rollings according to the language of the law relating to habitual offenders.

It is not unusual to find such exceptions when it comes to dealing with criminal law. In fact, it is often said that for every rule in criminal law, there is generally an exception. “It is for this reason that should you find yourself facing a criminal charge, or in jail and facing a possible sentence extension, make contact as quickly as possible with an experienced criminal attorney,” said Grajek.

Learn more at http://www.flcrimedefense.com/

Thomas C. Grajek
206 Easton Drive, Suite 102
Lakeland, FL 33803
Phone: 863.688.4606

View Larger Map

  • Winter Haven man arrested for DUI after driving wrong way on I-4.
    The Florida Highway Patrol arrested a Winter Haven man in Polk County early this morning for DUI after he was allegedly stopped driving the wrong way on I-4.  FHP has dash cams on most of their patrol cars so part of the traffic stop was captured on video.  It appears the driver was initially spotted by another motorist who called 911 to report the alleged incident.  By the time troopers caught up with the alleged vehicle, it allegedly had turned around and was driving the correct direction, but with no headlights on. A good DUI lawyer will get copy of […]
  • Being Around Marijuana is not a Crime, but Conspiring to Commit a Prohibited Act Is
    If a person is caught smoking Marijuana with someone else, but the stash does not belong to the first person, they will not be charged with a crime. The law says that possession of marijuana is a crime, but being in the same room as the drug is not. While the distinction may seem to be vague, it may make a difference to an accused if they are able to prove they were merely in the presence of marijuana, but the drug was not theirs. It is easier yet if the person who did own the stash admits to owning […]
  • What is a Criminal Complaint?
    A criminal charge involves a criminal complaint, or an “accusatory instrument,” which is the papers filed that accuse someone of committing a crime. There are two delineating criteria factored into considering if a criminal complaint is to be used in a case. One factor looks at whether state or federal laws were broken, which usually determines what court a trial may be held in. Another depends on the nature of the crime and whether it constitutes a serious felony or a less serious misdemeanor. Since different jurisdictions with differing rules and regulations may be involved, it is vitally important to […]