U.S. Capital

Immigration Attorney Notes Visa Updates From The DOS

Sep 5, 2013

Houston, TX (Law Firm Newswire) September 4, 2013 – The U.S. Department of State has issued visa updates to embassies around the world on how the U.S. is managing the immigration of same-sex couples.

The guidelines include the missive that, beginning immediately, consular officers are to begin reviewing the visa applications which have been filed by a same-sex spouse the same way they review visa applications filed by an opposite-sex spouse. Same-sex marriages are now considered valid for purposes of immigration.

“A same-sex marriage is considered valid for all immigration purposes, even if it is determined that the same-sex couple will eventually reside in one of the U.S. states which still does not legally recognize same-sex marriage,” commented Houston immigration attorney Annie Banerjee.

If a couple has wed in one of the 13 U.S. states which recognizes legal same-sex marriage, that marriage is valid for immigration purposes, even in one of the 37 states where it is not yet legal. Also in the guidelines: the same-sex marriage is considered valid in cases where the applicant is applying, even if that country does not recognize same-sex marriage.

According to the Department of State (DOS), same-sex spouses and their children are also eligible if one spouse has an H-1B visa, known as a “derivative visa.” The other spouse can file to obtain an H-4 visa. Also, if a spouse has an L-2 visa, their partner may be eligible for an L-1 visa.

Any spouse of a citizen of the U.S. or the spouse of a lawfully permanent resident may also apply for an immigrant visa, once USCIS approves the I-130. Each embassy is tasked with determining if the marriage was legally valid.

Same-sex spouses as well as their qualifying children and stepchildren as dependants may qualify for family-preference categories and employment-based categories.

Legal U.S. citizens who have same-sex partners may have their partner come to the U.S to be legal. The immigrant may apply for the K-1 fiancé non-immigrant visa so that they may wed in the U.S. Though a same-sex partner may be in a country where same-sex marriage is not recognized, the partner may be brought to the U.S. on a “fiancée visa” and the wedding can take place on U.S. soil.

For any questions regarding these or other same-sex visa rights issues, contact a Houston immigration attorney.

Learn more at http://www.visatous.com

Law Offices of Annie Banerjee
131 Brooks Street, Suite #300
Sugar Land, Texas 77478
Phone: (281) 242-9139

  • India Dramatically Affected By U.S. Immigration Visa Policy
    According to a recent article in Knowledge Wharton Today, the software industry in India is not pleased by the recently drafted U.S. immigration bill. Though the overwhelming focus has been on how to deal with the undocumented immigrants currently in the country and whether or not to provide them some clear path to citizenship, the […]
  • Immigration Reform Not Likely To Pass This Year
    A recent Quinnipiac University poll found that 54 percent of voters polled stated they favored the eventual citizenship for undocumented immigrants. Eighteen percent of those polled stated that they would allow those who are undocumented to stay in the U.S. without allowing them citizenship, while the remaining 28 percent polled stated that they should be […]
  • The Senate Judiciary Committee Agrees On H-1B Changes
    The Senate Judiciary Committee has agreed on a new deal for high-skilled workers in need of a visa. The H-1B visa has been at the center of a long-running debate between U.S. employers and unions. There are 65,000 H-1B visas, primarily used by the high tech sector based in California. The high tech industry has […]