Waxahachie, TX (Law Firm Newswire) February 23, 2012 – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recently launched a new awareness campaign about the danger of magnetic components and how they could cause serious injuries and death. Over the last two years, the CPSC has received an increase of reported incidents of youths and teens swallowing magnets. Even though magnets and magnetic components are prohibited in toys for children less than 14 years old, the CPSC says magnets still remain a hazard.
“New toys and youth accessories come out every day and some are imported that might not have strict standards,” said Waxahachie personal injury attorney John Hale, of The Hale Law Firm. “Plus parents need to be aware of desk accessories, magnets on stationery, and other office and organization supplies. Magnets might come loose and fall within reach of a child.”
When magnets are swallowed, they can cause serious injuries. Holes in the stomach and intestines, blood poisoning, intestinal blockage, and death can occur. Emergency room personnel say the internal damage is on par with bullet wounds. If a magnet must be removed surgically, doctors most likely will have to repair a child’s intestines or stomach.
“A child’s pain and suffering, medical bills, and other costs can place a great burden on parents,” said Hale. “Anyone dealing with a defective product should call an experienced product liability attorney to see if the manufacturer was in violation of CPSC standards.”
Because magnet components are often small, choking does not occur in many cases where the magnets are swallowed. The CPSC recommends that parents be on the lookout for unexplained nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
Recently, several cases have been reported of teenagers accidentally ingesting magnetic beads worn as necklaces. Many teenagers chew on their necklaces. “Some forget that they are composed of magnetic beads and inadvertently swallow one or more,” said Hale. “Embarrassed or afraid, children may not tell their parents that they swallowed a magnet.”
It is critical that you seek immediate medical attention if you suspect that a loved one has swallowed a magnetic component. Once you have addressed the medical emergency, it is important that you speak with a product liability attorney. “We want to find out what went wrong,” said Hale. “Did the product designer, manufacturer or retailer act negligently and if so, how should we seek compensation for injuries sustained?”
The Hale Law Firm
100 Executive Court, Suite 3
Waxahachie, TX 75165