U.S. Capital

Unmarried Parents Rights In Seeking Child Custody

Oct 25, 2011

Zephyrhills, FL (Law Firm Newswire) October 24, 2011 – A recent court case shows that unmarried child custody cases can be complex. A father from Florida is now in court after his casual love interest gave birth to their child and she put the child up for adoption. He filed with Florida’s Putative Father Registry shortly after she got pregnant and refused to authorize the adoption. Unfortunately, the mother moved to Utah before she gave birth, and there is a question as to whether or not he timely filed with their registry. He is now fighting in the Utah courts for child custody.

“Unmarried parents of a child have many issues that may require legal representation to resolve,” said Zephyrhills family law attorney Marcie Baker. “Child support, custody and time-sharing rights, and other concerns are more complex when two individuals decide not to get married or stay together.”

Unless the child’s father takes legal action for child custody, the mother is typically considered the sole custodian. A paternity test may be required prior to ordering child support monies be paid. Also of importance, if a single mother seeks any public assistance, the Department of Revenue (DOR) will bring a child support proceeding against the alleged father. However, DOR only addresses child support, not time-sharing or parenting issues. The father will need to file a Circuit Court action to address all of these issues and protect his interests. “A paternity test, petition for time-sharing and parenting rights, and showing that it is in the best interest of the child to have both of their biological parents in the child’s life is what the court is looking for,” said Baker.

When one parent has custody of a child but is proven unable to maintain their role as a parent, child custody can be modified. The Florida family law courts want a child’s safety, health, and well-being upheld by whoever is their caretaker. “As a child’s biological parent, you must show that you are not only their parent, but that you are truly committed to being an active part of the child’s life,” said Baker. “You cannot just want this role out of spite.”

A qualified family law attorney can make the difference in the outcome of these cases. Zephyrhills family law attorney Marcie Baker of Alston & Baker, P.A. counsels clients on paternity, child custody, time sharing and parenting plans, and child support. To contact a Zephyrhills divorce lawyer, Zephyrhills social security lawyer, or Zephyrhills accident attorney, visit http://www.alstonbakerlaw.com.

Alston & Baker, P.A.
5518 Seventh Street
Zephyrhills, Florida 33542
Call: 813-779-8895
Toll-free: 1-888-500-5245