If you’ve read the other mistakes, you know I think people spend too much time looking at price when deciding what insurance to buy. But I don’t think people spend enough time looking for discounts.
Once you have narrowed your search of insurers down to two or three respectable companies, do your homework to consider what discounts the companies offer. Most companies offer discounts for consolidating homeowners and auto insurance, but the discounts go far beyond that. Insurers may offer discounts for things like:
- your car has daytime lights;
- you’ve completed driver’s ed;
- your driving age kids have good grades;
- your kids are away for school; and
- you or someone on your policy is deployed.
Make sure you ask your agent about potential discounts. You can also check the Texas Department of Insurance website, which lists discounts for many auto insurers.